Sunday, February 16, 2014 | By: Unknown

Oops... missed a week!

"As he read, I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once."
— John Green (The Fault in Our Stars)

Well, I have to make my apologies... I totally missed a week. What is more, I do not even have a really good excuse. Yes, this last week has been insanely busy; however, my last Sunday was not that busy. The excuse: Game of Thrones is too darn good. Daniel and I have finally finished watching the latest season. I'm still reading book two but it was too good not to continue watching it. So, that's why I did not write last Sunday, I was enjoying the television too much. Sorry. 

So, this week was really busy though. But! The four day weekend is making up for it. I have gotten relatively nothing done, except for cleaning up a few things (like X-mas pics) that have been gathering dust while I've been doing my student teaching. So, this week was parent teacher conferences. Can I tell you how much I absolutely LOVE this experience. I was definitely dreading it. Working 12 hour days to have parents and students complaining about the grades and such... it wasn't like that at all. Yes, it made for two really long days and a really really long, short week; however, the conversations I had with my students and their parents was great! I feel like I got an even mix of students who really deserve praise in front of their parents and those who really needed some direction from their parents. I got some great insight to some of the things my students are experiencing and how I can help them. Plus, there are just some amazingly supportive parents out there. I hope this is true for all over, especially California, because I'm really starting to like being at Kearns (be careful Daniel). You know, I know the media has made California schools (particularly L.A.) into something more dangerous than they are. Yes, there are definitely gang problems and they all look like prisons, but I am truly hoping that the experience isn't much more different than it is here in Utah. I hope that parents are as willing to help and come into the prison schools as they are here to help me. 

So, this week was Valentine's Day. I had so much fun hanging out with Daniel and being together these past couple of days. With how crazy last week was, I definitely needed some alone time with my husband. We went to see Les Miserables at Hale Centre Theatre... wow, I was so impressed. Over the years I've become extremely cynical and critical of the plays at the theater. Mostly, I think I'm growing tired of working there and of some things about the theater that I think aren't completely what they should be, but, I am so glad that I will be leaving after this show. I was extremely impressed with the production and the cast members. If you're in Utah and you have some time, you should definitely go see it. It is a good show to end my working days there and I'm honestly hoping the next show I see at Hale as a patron will be at their new theater a couple of years from now. Is that sad? 

After the show, Daniel surprised me with a really fancy dinner at an authentic Italian restaurant downtown. Cucina Toscana. It was really really nice and the service there was awesome. We got a waiter who reminded me of Gill from the Simpsons, though. Daniel and I kept giggling at him as he passed by and tried to get the other patrons to "by his vacuum." Really he was just trying to get people to try the special, but it was the way he did it that was just so... Gill. Anyway, I didn't get the special but I tried duck for the first time. Hmmm, well, I don't know if I liked it that much or not. I should have gotten something a little more Italian for one, because Daniel had gnocchi and I really like gnocchi. That was my favorite meal when we were in Italy... seriously, if you're in Rome, you have to try some gnocchi. Lasagna may be tempting, but go for the gnocchi *pronounced nyokee*. Below is my favorite meal that I had in Italy. It looks pretty simple, but it was really good. I still have that coke can too, btw. 

Anyway, I got duck and I don't know if I liked it or not because my stomach started acting up and I started to not feel well. All in all, I would have to say the place was definitely worth the price but it was so nice because it brought back a lot of nice memories of Italy. We even got asked if we wanted sparkling water... no gas please. :)

So, I was sick that night and stayed in bed all day Saturday and now it's Sunday and I've gotten very little done that needs to be done for next week. I have my midterm observation and evaluation this week too, so I really need to get on top of it. So, this one will have to stay short. I love you guys, hope you all had a nice Valentine's Day. I'll talk to you next week.

<3/ Brandy 

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like you had a productive and interesting week. Nice to see your new blog. Granpa

Post a Comment