Good Morrow! Well, it's Week 3 and I'm feeling reflective. I have kept the goal of writing this blog so far. I slipped once on the one Coke a day resolution, but it was a really stressful day and I'm back on the game. So, the resolutions seem to be going well.
You'll notice the video above. Hopefully if you didn't get a chance to listen to it, you will sometime. 1) Jason Mraz is pretty awesome. 2) It's one of those songs that I help to pick myself up with if I'm having a bad day. Well, I did not receive a call or e-mail from the Reading Institute (the job I was applying to for this summer). I've been bummed out about it all weekend. The program sounded pretty awesome and it would have been nice to have something to support us during the summer. Right now it's looking like I won't have an income until the school year starts (and that's on the huge assumption that I'll be able to get a job at a school district when I graduate). I mean, Daniel will be working and I can do SOMETHING if it's not teaching right away and it's the same likelihood that I'll get a job in L.A. as I would here. Still, I'm going to e-mail the peeps at the Reading Institute, just to let them know I'm still available. I don't believe anything will come of it, but it's good just to let them know. Anyway, the video. I was just feeling bummed all weekend when I started listening to this song. Well, it just made me feel a whole lot better. Mainly because it helped me to remember how far I have come. Three years ago I don't think I would have even tried. Interviews still terrify me, but I was extremely proud of myself after this interview. It made me realize I know my stuff. I'm not worried by the fact that I did not get the job. I knew my stuff, I was prepared and I could respond.
Anyway, other stuff: This week went well at school. I started getting a cold on Wednesday and it was a good thing it was a short week because I kept losing my voice while teaching on Thursday. Still have the cold but I've had a wonderfully long weekend to sleep it off. We started reading this unit's literary piece, a play: A Raisin in the Sun by Lorraine Hansberry. We're definitely getting behind. There's so many things I'm battling for time with in my own classroom. Late start days, Tests, drills, assemblies, and (wonderful) holidays. It's hard to get through a lesson. So, that's frustrating, but we're making our way through it.
Daniel and I are moving forward in finding places to live in L.A., albeit slowly. We sat down and looked at a map today. I got excited about seeing the ocean. It's very blue. We found a couple of districts that are hiring in a couple of areas that aren't right downtown (which is what I really want to avoid). Also, there's a couple in a nicer, but cheap-ish, neighborhood in the area too. I shouldn't say we. Daniel has been looking up districts. I've been a little overwhelmed with all the grading, lesson planning, and general fatigue that has come with the last two weeks. Still, it's becoming more and more real. We still have not decided on an exact date yet. I would rather wait until after Yellowstone but Daniel wants to go as soon as I graduate. Meanwhile, I'm just trying to convince him that the reason I would rather wait has nothing to do with being scared about moving. It's a little bit of a battle. I just don't want to have to drive back to Utah (we're riding with the parents to save on gas money in the first place) with both the dog and the ferrets (we have people set up to watch them for us) after only a month of being out there. I don't know, more to come on that front. I'll let you know when we set an actual date. We're going to rent a U-Haul truck to put all our junk in and tow the car behind us, which makes me anxious. I'm horrible at towing a trailer... I can't get the backwards backing up thing right.
Pretty excited about Yellowstone trip that is coming up soon. Sat down with Mom and Dad today to discuss a couple of things. It's nice to see them so excited too. Also, we invited Dan's mom to come with us (we had an extra space in our campground). So, I'm really excited.
Anyway, it's getting late and I'm cold. I'm not going to bed though. I don't have to go to class tomorrow (yay MLK day!) and I'm sleeping in. I just want to cuddle while watching the Office with Daniel. Love you guys. Hope you have a nice week!
- Brandy
3 comments:
Sorry you haven't heard from that job offer yet but you are smart to keep a positive attitude and let them know you will be available. When I first applied to the power company for a very lucrative job, a co-worker at the mountain who had realatives their beat me out and got the job. I was very dissapointed but to my surprise, after about a month, he decided to move on and I was offerred the job, which I took and stayed with to my retirement. One of the best carreer moves I ever made.
There are no gaurantees either way but keep your possibilities open. And good luck. We are very proud of you.
Nice song. I hadn't heard that one before.
Brandy - Interviews are tough and I had many before I found my job teaching 1st grand in a small community. Hang in there. Stay positive. Have you seen ront of the Class?" - not that you have tourette's but that you have valuable skills that any district would be pleased to haveworking for them. You go girl. Miss Nancy
Post a Comment