"The only way to predict the future is to have the power to shape the future." - Eric Hoffer
It has been an impressively stressful and busy week. Still, there have been a lot of successes and lot of fun things thrown into the mix. There is obviously a lot to talk about but it is a blazing 106 degrees outside (and 86 degrees inside) and I feel like my brain is melting. So, forgive me if the mix you get tonight isn't particularly coherent. Also, I've got a lot of grading I need to get done before bed tonight (maybe not all of it - but I already feel like I'm drowning with work). I've been planning all day and it has only been the salt and butter needed to make my melting brain into a delightful appetizer. Did that even make sense? I don't even know! What I'm trying to say is that my brain feels like mashed potatoes and there have been a lot of things contributing to the meal. There!
School
While I love my job, it obviously adds a lot of stress to my life. All summer long I was trying to get all the information I could to begin planning my lesson plans. Every time I tried I was met with what seemed like a wall. They really wanted me to wait until after new teacher training (about three weeks before school started) to begin planning. I completely understand that. I learned a lot of things about the school culture that were necessary for my plans. The school also required me to be at other trainings and meetings for nearly all of the three weeks that were left. What that left me with was a whole lot of no time to plan. So, I've literally been planning every night for the next day's materials. It is not a situation I ever wanted to be in. It is hard enough being a new teacher but it only makes my life that more stressful as well as making my lessons, I feel, less effective. I'm just trying to hang in there until Fall Break (Thanksgiving), when I know I might have at least a day to breathe and do extensive planning, while not having to be up at 5:30 the next day.
Except for most nights this last week (which was a really stressful one), I generally don't bring work home with me. I do grade quite a bit at home actually but I don't like to plan lessons at home. Because my job can get pretty overwhelming I like to have an hour when I just stop for the night. The rest of the evening I like to watch my shows or read. Most days I leave school at about 5:30 - 6:00 pm, which makes it about an eleven hour day. It's kind of sad considering class ends at 3:30. I look forward to the days when I don't have to stay so late. Honestly though, it doesn't make me feel that bad. I really do love my job and I feel good after working so hard just so my students have the best out of me that they can. I'm usually surprised when I look at the clock and see how late it is. Also, my commute is nice even during rush hour - so it doesn't hurt me much.
This Weekend
This doesn't mean that I don't indulge myself in life. Randy and Viki are in Los Angeles for the week and we took the time this weekend to have a lot of fun. They came over and enjoyed a cheese fondue that Dan made. It was pretty good - but not The Melting Pot good. It was nice meeting with them and catching up. I also got to show them around the school. It's nice having things like my work and my home to be proud of and show people around.
On Friday evening we met up down on Hollywood Boulevard and enjoyed the stars and the handprints at the Chinese Theater. We had buffalo wings, which eases a craving I've been having for a while. Also, Dan and I had some nice time together after Randy and Viki left. Every night last week we were both working so hard, I felt like we hardly saw each other at all. It's been nice being together all weekend long.
On Saturday we went to The Getty Villa. Dan and I hadn't been to this attraction yet. I loved it. After going to Rome and seeing so much of the sculptures and the gardens there, the Getty Villa made me want to go back so badly. They also had Greek and Estucian art as well but my favorite was the Roman sculptures. It brought me back to the Vatican museum, which was easily one of my favorite parts about the trip. It was nice to get out of the house and explore L.A. with other people.
Then we went to Griffith Observatory. Those of you who heard about the experience I had getting up there on our anniversary in May know that I feel pretty traumatized whenever I hear the words "Griffith Observatory" but, even after the stress of trying to find a parking spot on a Saturday night, we had a ton of fun. We saw a show in the planetarium and enjoyed looking out over the gorgeous city when the sun went down. It was also nice to get out of the baking heat that has fallen on us these past couple of days.
We're supposed to meet to go to The Grove with Randy and Viki on Tuesday. I'm pretty excited - though I have a late meeting that day at school, I hope I don't slow us down too much.
My Bird Feeder
That's basically it for any special events. So, I'm not going to fool myself that there will ever be a "Fall" here in L.A. I know that the dead leaves on the ground (what little there are) are not Fall Leaves but Drought Leaves. The trees just haven't had enough water to sustain much green. Which is sad because Autumn is my favorite season of all. Still, I've been trying to fake it the best I can. I've been cooking a lot of Fall-ish foods (a lot of barley soups and the like) and desserts (the apple cider caramels did not work out though - sad face :( ). I've also been trying to decorate the house as if it were Fall.
One of the projects I've had was this bird feeder. It was meant to look like an apple! It turned out okay. The instructions were to use hot glue to put the two pieces of a bottle together but it only melted the plastic! So, it doesn't look the best, though I still think it's cute. The birds obviously don't agree because not a single bird has eaten out of it yet (another sad face :( ). Sigh, I don't know what to do to attract their attention. Stupid birds. Here's the pic:
The "Park"
Our newest development in family life has been our nightly visits to "The Park." Right across the street from our house is the industrial buildings. The one right in front has a walled off parking lot that you can enter from our street. Well, since there are no actual parks near our house, we take one of the sticks that we took back from our trip to Utah (there are also very few good Miya fetching sticks near our house) and play fetch with Miya for about an hour. We just sit there in the abandoned parking lot, toss the stick, and chat about our days. Sure, it would be nicer if we had some trees our a park bench but you make due with what you have. I have become quite fond of our nightly excursions and Miya sleeps a lot better because of it.
Patch
Our oldest ferret isn't doing so well. We've known for almost 6 months that he was about ready to go but, there's been some significant deterioration over this last week. He doesn't really move about anymore at all. He's having a hard time standing and using his hind legs. This is pretty sad but we've been taking the time to say our goodbyes and have some special time with him. He's even been coming with us to The Park. He doesn't go anywhere, just lays around and cuddles, but it's been nice just having Patchy time. We're thinking of giving him another week to see if he'll pass in his sleep but after that we're probably going to take him to be put to sleep. We're pretty sure he's not in a lot of pain and we've been giving him children's Benadryl to help with his itching, so he sleeps a lot. It's a sad time for our little family, even our littlest members are pretty dear to our hearts. Still, I'm glad that we have been given warning and can say goodbye.
I think that's all the updates I have for now. I turned on the air conditioner before I started writing and my brain is feeling a little clearer after writing all this down. Thank you for listening. I miss all of you back in Utah a ton and dream of the day when I'll get to show you around my new home. It's been nice having people we love to be with, I just wish I could see everyone in the foreground of a day at the beach. I hope you guys have a good week! Feel free to call or text, though I know I haven't been very social lately. I barely have time to breathe it seems. :)
<3/ Brandy

0 comments:
Post a Comment