Saturday, October 11, 2014 | By: Unknown

Roller Coaster Week

“God put us here, on this carnival ride. We close our eyes never knowing where it'll take us next.”
- Carrie Underwood 

Apologies. It's another long one. Also, I swear a little.... not sorry about that one. You'll see why.

Okay, Okay, I know.... some people are pretty irritated with me for my upsetting posts on Facebook about me "feeling the feelings I feel (name that musical)" this week. Let me just start by saying: I'm okay. It has been a really rough week for me depression-wise and anxiety-wise. I didn't think it was a good idea to elaborate too much over Facebook (though I will do so here). However, I had a pretty amazing weekend and situations got resolved-ish. I'm still feeling a lot of stress but it's manageable and the good kind of stress. So, let me elaborate:

So, I graduated the University of Utah (yay me!) with my degree and Utah teaching credential, which means I am okay to teach anywhere I desire in Utah. Well, since we moved to California right after I graduated, my Utah teaching credential doesn't really cut it. Now, most states will allow you to work with their teaching division and carry over most of the work (if not all) that you have done in earning your out of state credential. California... well, it's a little choosier but it will allow me to sort of transfer-ish my credential. I'll have to take a few more tests and maybe take a couple of courses, but all of that has yet to be determined. The important thing is that I can teach for a couple of years in California with my Utah teaching credential just fine.

Well, in order to start that transfer-ish process you have to send in an application to the CTC (California Teacher Credentialing Bureaucracy of Inefficiency) where they take 90 years to even put on their website that they received your application and another 70 years to look through it and tell you if your stuff is up to par with state requirements.

You guys know me. I do my homework. I make sure I know the next steps. Well, knowing that I needed to start this credential transfer-ish process, I began asking my school's administration and HR department how to begin that process almost immediately after I was hired. The Dean of Instruction (my supervisor) at the school got me in touch with a contact in HR but it took that HR contact a while to start talking to me (almost a month). Well, we started working together, all through email, on this application. When I say we worked together, she kind of showed me the website and gave me a general idea of what I needed to do and then I had to navigate this horridly complicated, disorganized, maze of a website that the CTC has created, by myself. During this time, I sent my HR contact multiple emails stating that I was confused and needed help. She responded with somewhat helpful comments but most of them were along the lines of: "what you see is different from what I see...sooooo good f-ing luck!"

Well, even after that mess, I think I figured out the application process. I had to gather all the essential documents (get re-fingerprinted (that's 6 times in a year for me! and this time it cost me $70!), apply for a clear credential (another $40), get another copy of my official transcripts ($10 more), my PRAXIS scores (which don't count for the state of Cali anyway), and my Utah teaching credential (that one was a pdf on my computer). That took me two weeks and I have to say that I was pretty proud of myself because at the time I was also working full time for IRD.

I sent in my application and thought I was cool. Well, when we came back from Utah after Labor Day   weekend (that's nearly TWO MONTHS later) I got my application back saying that there were mistakes on it and I needed to fix it. To be honest, I wasn't surprised. Like I said, I was confused. Also, I did not include the additional $70 application fee because I thought I had already paied it when I applied for the Clear Credential (which is something different, apparently). So, I fixed the application but at this time Daniel and I were a little tight for cash because of the issue with IRD not keeping me hired for the rest of the summer and my first paycheck wasn't until September 25th. So, unfortunately for me, I had to wait until then to send it in because it needed to have the $70 application fee in order to be complete. I sent it in and thought, mkay, I'm cool again.

Well, Monday night I got a call from the HR master saying that, "They had checked the CTC's website and there were no records stating that the CTC ever received any application for me. What that means is that you are no longer NCLB compliant in the state of California (and since we're f-ing morons and didn't check in on this until the NIGHT BEFORE our audit of doom with LAUSD (Los Angeles Unified School District)) you are not allowed in the classroom tomorrow (Tuesday) and until you can prove to us that you sent in that initial application (the one back in July), you cannot be in the classroom and must use your sick days. Also, remember you only have 10 sick days a year and if you use more than that it comes out of your paycheck. Good luck!"

Okay, major break down moment for Brandy. One, I don't have a lot of things that define me other than being a teacher. I see everyday in the classroom as important and to keep me out of the classroom... it broke my heart. Two, being panicky and upset my mind immediately jumped to - I'm going to get flipping fired over this! Three, I sent in the first application in July! I have no clue why it didn't get updated on their website! How do I prove that?!

So, I called my supervisor and she helped me figure out how to get a sub for the next day and told me that it would be okay. Then, at about 9:00, my principal calls me. One thing that I absolutely love about CCMS is that the staff is uber supportive. It's like a family, it really is. He immediately starts talking about our action plan and that he's going to call the HR master tomorrow and figure out what else there is to do. Also, he told me to call the CTC tomorrow and figure out why it didn't show up on their end.

While I appreciated their assurances that everything would be okay, It certainly did not feel okay to me. Not only could I not be in the classroom, I didn't think they'd keep a new teacher on long if the absence was extended for any long period of time, we were just finishing a unit in class and this week was supposed to be reviewing and taking the test, this week was insanely busy because we had Back to School night (where I get to meet all 120 of my student's parents), and it was our retreat (which wasn't worrying me but it caused the school week to be a little wonky). So, it was an extremely rough night for me.

On Tuesday, after waiting for a while for the CTC to talk to me. I talked to someone who said that the CTC doesn't update someone's profile saying they received the application if it is incomplete anymore (apparently they used to do that - and my HR department didn't get the memo that they stopped) and that, as soon as they were able to process my new application, that it would show up on the website. That, of course, might take up to 2 weeks after they received it in the mail (I had sent it a week before). I asked the CTC person to send me an email, stating as much, so that I could at least show the woman at HR why it didn't show up in their system (and honestly, I feel like she didn't believe I had sent in the application at all - this woman really is a total bitch - she was abrasive and rude.... and I honestly felt attacked more than I should have with an HR rep on the phone. There were better ways to handle it, even if I still couldn't be allowed in the classroom). Well, the CTC person told me I would have to wait until tomorrow (Wednesday) because she would be on the phone all day. Okay, fine.

Meanwhile, I still had meetings at the school (on "sick day  #1") which I had to go to and went in at 1:00. I still didn't leave the school until after 5:00.

Wednesday came and the CTC rep emailed me. God bless this woman  because she even decided to get dirty and look through the log files. She found that I had sent in that initial application and it was sent back to me because things were missing and there were mistakes. ALL IN WRITING! So, here I am, thinking: "All the HR master wanted was some proof that I initially sent in the first application! This is all I need!" I immediately sent the information to the principal and the HR master. I, again, had to go into the school for meetings and Wednesday was Back to School Night. I was at the school (on "sick day #2") from 12:30 until 8:30. But, I had hope! I gave the dragon what it wanted.

Well, when I had finished talking to all the parents I checked my email and the HR master had gotten back to me at 7:30 pm that night. She said that, while I did get her what she asked for, it still didn't prove that I resent in my new application and that, as far as she was concerned, it was all my fault and it should have been done the moment my feet touched California soil.... (yeah, she's a total bitch... she didn't say it exactly that way but she was definitely playing the blame game - once again, not her fault that she committed this HUGE oversight and didn't check my status until a month and a half into the school year). I was crestfallen. I had given her what she wanted and it didn't matter. I still couldn't go to class. She said she would get back to me tomorrow (Thursday) after she had spoken to the superintendent about my situation. Thanks a lot.... bitch.

"Sick day #3" was a short day for the kids because at 12:00 we all headed down to Anaheim for our annual CCMS retreat, where we work hard, do some team building and professional development, and then play hard. This year we were going to go to Disneyland after all the work was over. Well, I was still invited to the retreat because I was still apart of the team (even if I didn't feel like it). While, I should have been ecstatic about Disneyland... I wasn't very happy. I am not one for social engagements (I'm friendly, and people like me there...but to be trapped with these people with more to talk about than what's happening in class.... I just don't like the stress of those situations) but, I honestly felt like there was no hope that I would still be working there for a long period of time. Still, my supervisor dragged me along and my team (all the grade level teachers are considered a team - so the 6th grade teachers) tried to cheer me up and share their woes about working with the HR master as well. She's a bitch to everyone.

We worked hard until 6 pm. This day was more of a team building experience. We all had to create these posters during the week about our "peaks and valleys" in life. While most of the teachers didn't want to do this (this week was crazy busy and no one really had time to do it), I had those morning hours off the last three days and I found it pretty soothing. I hadn't been able to focus on lesson plans (once more, I didn't think I'd be working there long) or anything else, but I could reflect and draw pretty pictures on a poster. Still, it was really interesting to see where everyone was coming from in the school (it's a small school - only about twenty three faculty and staff total), what their obstacles were, what they considered their successes, and why they were invested in Education. While they had opposed the posters at first, everyone really thought the experience was really meaningful and most shared more than they thought they would. The whole staff was pretty close to begin with...but I know that everyone feels a lot closer than they did.

At 6 pm we broke out for Happy Hour. The hotel gave free drinks with the price of a room. Well, my colleagues decided I needed to get drunk... and I had been too anxious over the last couple of days to eat much. It didn't take much. Still, I wasn't the least sober person. It was kind of fun to see my supervisor completely smashed. We bonded some more and then took a shuttle to Downtown Disney for dinner.

We ate at a place called Rainforest Cafe, complete with animatronic apes, talking trees, and an indoor waterfall. The food was wonderful and I really had a blast with my less than sober friends. And that was what was really important to me.... friends. I'm pretty lonely here in L.A. and this was the first time where I actually considered the CCMS workers anything other than coworkers.

As drunk as I was, I still couldn't manage to fall asleep at the hotel. My anxiety was still pretty high and my mind wouldn't calm down. I actually started writing. I'm a little embarrassed to admit this but I love writing. I express myself much better through writing and it soothes me to no end. Many people have told me that I should write about my life. I think they are just being nice. And.... I just feel kind of self absorbed, writing about me... you know? Still, as much as I love writing, I don't have very much of an attention span. I've tried to start writing a novel on multiple occasions. It just didn't work. I'm much better with short stories. Well, I want to write though and that night I got to thinking about how soothing that peaks and valleys poster was for me. Also, I need a way to sharpen my skills and extend my resiliency. So, I started writing. I'm debating about letting you guys read a bit.... maybe? I dunno.... we'll see.

Anyway, the whole day I had been checking my email, waiting for HR master to "get back to me" as she had promised. Nothing. Nada. Zilch. All day long. Infuriating. However, at about 12:30 in the morning I did get an email from non other than the CTC. It was an automated message stating that they had received my application on October 3rd (seven days late... thanks guys) and were processing it. Well, I didn't let myself get my hopes up this time but I immediately forwarded it to my principal and HR master.

The next morning (I think "sick day #4" even IF I didn't have to be in front of students?? I need to check up on that) my body woke me up at an impressive 5:30 in the morning..... I was exhausted but anxiety and habit were just too much for me. I couldn't get back to sleep. So, I woke up, showered, and went down to breakfast. At 9 am we resumed working (a lot more professional development stuff that day). During our work the principal, assistant principal, and the dean of instruction pulled me out. I nearly had a heart attack. Anyway, the principal said that HR received my stuff and that I would be allowed back in the classroom on Monday.

I was ecstatic. Being a family, they all gave me a hug and I felt really good. At about 2:00 pm we stopped for lunch and after lunch we went to Disneyland. I want to tell you about Disneyland but I feel like this post has gone on for long enough. So, I'm going to put in some pictures for you. They aren't good quality because we went to a special event called Mickey's Halloween Party, which is in the evening. They kick all of the regular guests out at 7pm and only 20,000 people are left in the park. You get to go to all the rides with much shorter lines, all the villains are out wandering around, a lot more Halloween things happening (as you can imagine - I was in heaven), and there's Trick or Treating (even for the adults)! Also, EVERYONE dresses up! Kids, families, adults, single people! EVERYONE was in costume... it was the most adorable and wonderful thing... I loved it. Also, NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS! They convert the Haunted Mansion into a Nightmare before Christmas ride this time of year.... just my favorite show ever! I even got a nice (and rather expensive X) ) Jack Skellington hoodie and a Jack Skellington pen to commemorate my wonderful weekend. We stayed together the whole time... all 20 of us (a couple had left because they didn't want to go to Disneyland - and it was an extra $40 (which is cheap but CCMS paid for the rest)), which really speaks to the level of togetherness in this group of people. It was pretty fun!


Here's the CCMS family. We're missing a couple because they were running a bit late :(

 We all got on the same boat for Pirates of the Caribbean!!!! 




2 comments:

Brooke Funk said...

I am REALLY glad everything worked out and super jealous of Disneyland

Anonymous said...

Love you Japp.

Post a Comment