Sunday, January 12, 2014 | By: Unknown

First Week Down - 11 Weeks to Go!

“So be sure when you step, Step with care and great tact. 
And remember that life's A Great Balancing Act. 
And will you succeed? Yes! 
You will, indeed! (98 and ¾ percent guaranteed) 
Kid, you'll move mountains.” 
  ― Dr. Seuss, Oh, The Places You'll Go!

Phew, first week, done! Well, I'll be honest. It's getting really late and I'm just trying to make sure I don't fail on my resolution the second week in. So, this week's post is going to be pretty short. 

I completed my first week of student teaching this week. It was quite the adventure. I had a lot of good moments and a couple of bad ones. The kids are definitely testing the waters. "How far will I let them go?" Well, it's really hard for me to be ultra strict. I hate conflict. I hate confrontation... so you can imagine how tough it is for me to walk up to a student and ask for their cell phone. It scares me every time... I've already had to take three away and in order to gain any ground I'm going to have to be a lot more strict about it this coming week. Sigh... I've had two students flat out ignore my instructions in front of the whole class, but there are students who are trying really hard. I enjoy my ESL class the most. Even though they struggle the most with English, reading and writing, they really do make an effort and the discussion with them is much more meaningful. I'm thinking I already need  to create a new seating chart for one class. I'm going to give them one more chance, but I can't take any more crap from that class or I'll lose them. 

Other than that...I've been ultra busy and haven't had much time to think outside of class. I'm just trying to keep my head above the water. I lost my phone in the snow for three hours... I thought I was totally out of luck but it might actually work better than it did before it slept in the igloo. Let's see I just glued two of my fingers together with Gorilla Glue, that hurt. 

Oh, I just finished The Fault in our Stars by John Green. Have I mentioned to you guys how much I've loved Audible. I honestly have not had the time to sit and crack open a real book but I've been listening as I get ready in the mornings. Its' been so great. I loved this book. It was honest and open. I love young adult literature and this is a must read if you do too. Now, I'm listening to Game of Thrones, which I realize is long overdue. I'll be on that one for a while I suspect. 

Sorry guys, I warned you this week's post would be kinda lame. I'm just really tired and need the sleep. Don't worry, I'm sure I'll get used to it. Also, I have more time on Sundays that I don't have FHE with Daniel's family. So, next week! 

- Love you guys
<3 Brand-0

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Good job even though shorter than you like. And remember that sometimes, Less is more....

Have a good day.
Grandpa

Brooke Funk said...

Hey, you had more success with your resolutions than me.

Anonymous said...

Your blog is very impressive, Brandy. You have good goals and you are on a good path. My hat is off to teachers, who are truly heroes - as they are shaping the next generation. Today's students are the ones who will be taking care of us in the future - nursing/doctoring us, policing us, teaching our children, making our laws, social workers, governing us, etc....

Setar Seth said...

I didn't think that was lame! I'm trying to read Game of Thrones and amazing as it is I just don't have the time to sit down and read it. You're going to be an awesome teacher just stick to it! Show those kids who's boss. You're the one with the bachelors degree and more overall life experience one day they'll thank you.

Randy said...

Finnley just taught me that he is much happier when I step up to the plate and become the Leader of the Pack; else he becomes confused, disorganized, and do more damage to himself and the household. Maybe some students are wondering if you are going to be the Leader. Remembers, ytour "Light Savior" is much bigger than theirs.

Post a Comment